There are many new terms that you will come across upon entering the world of international education and expat living.“Third Culture Kid”; “Global Nomad”; “Hardship post”; and “Cultureshock” are but a few. Perhaps one of the most common is the term “Trailing Spouse”.
What is a Trailing Spouse?
Trailing Spouse is the term given to a person who follows his/her partner or spouse abroad due to work relocation. In addition to international education, trailing spouses are also associated with other sectors such as diplomats, the military, oil and gas companies and NGOs and other private sector companies.
Factors to consider
Some things to consider if you are Trailing Spouse:
- What opportunities are there for me to continue my career in the country we are moving to?
- Are there other positions in the school that I can apply for?
- What opportunities are there in the school to volunteer/get involved in the community/PTA?
- Could I retrain as a teacher and do my teaching practice in the school?
- What will the impact on my career be if I’ve not been working in my field of expertise for a couple of years?
- How easy it is to freelance/remotely work in the country?